Try our great recipes or submit your leftover favourites!
ROI - 1850 404 567
NI - 0800 085 1683
Turkey & Vegetable Broth, with thanks to Neven Maguire
Serves: 6 - 8
- 4oz/100g each of mixed vegetables (onion, leek, carrots, turnips, parsnips and celery), finely diced
- 2oz/50g cooked turkey meat (cubed)
- 2 oz/50g butter or margarine
- 2oz/50g flour
- 4pts/2 litres hot chicken stock
- 2oz/50g pearl barley (washed & soaked overnight)
- 1/2 pint/250 ml of milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Place the barley in a saucepan of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes if pre-soaked overnight, otherwise simmer for 35-40 minutes until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Gently sweat the vegetables and thyme in butter or margarine for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix in the flour. Return to a low heat and cook out for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the hot stock, stirring well. Bring to the boil, then add the cooked turkey, milk, cooked barley and chopped parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!