Roast chicken with lemon, herbs and pepper
Make that chicken zing!
Roast chicken can be boring, why not make it more interesting with this zesty recipe?
Ingredients - Serves 6 Adults
- 1 whole chicken with giblets removed, around 1½ kg / 3½ lb
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 1 lemon
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 6 lean rashers - around 150g / 5½ oz.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5
- Roughly crush the peppercorns and mix with the thyme and some small pieces of lemon rind, season inside and outside the bird
- Cut the lemon into 4 and put it inside the body cavity along with the bay leaves
- Check the weight of the chicken and allow 20 minutes for every 450g / 1lb of meat
- Place the chicken in a large roasting tin and brush all over with some olive oil. Cover the bird loosely with a large piece of tin foil
- Every hour or so, take the chicken out and pour the cooking juices over the top
- Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, remove the tin foil
- Arrange the rashers over the breast of the chicken and return to the oven
- When the chicken is cooked, the juices will run clear if you spear it with a skewer
- Remove the bird from the oven and cover with tin foil for 15 minutes
- Carve and serve
Serve with boiled or roasted vegetables such as potatoes, carrots or parsnips.
Remove the skin of the chicken before eating as this contains a lot of fat.
Click here for more details
1/6 of the recipe contains
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (145g)|
|Fat||4.1g || 6g|
|(of which saturates)||1.1g || 1.6g|
|Carbohydrate||0.1g || 0.1g|
|(of which sugars)||0g || 0g|
|Protein||21.2g || 30.8g|
|Salt||0.7g || 1.1g|
|Fibre||0.4g || 0.5g|