Mexican beef and sweet potato stew
Great for freezing
A Mexican twist on the classic stew. This hearty dish will keep you warm on those winter evenings yet will also spice things up during the summer. Anything leftover will make for a tasty lunch the following day or can be frozen for the weeks ahead.
Ingredients - Serves 2 Adults
- 200g / 7oz. of lean stewing beef
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of crushed chilli
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 small red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (260g / 9oz. each)
- 2 small tins chopped tomatoes (454g / 16oz.)
- 4 tablespoons of frozen sweetcorn
- Heat a non-stick saucepan and when hot, brown the meat before removing and putting on a plate.
- Next add the oil to the same pan, scraping up any meat juices to stop from sticking.
- Add the chilli, garlic and cumin, and heat through for about 30 seconds, until the herbs start to sizzle.
- Add the onions and red pepper and cook until they are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, along with the carrots and sweet potatoes. Give the pan contents a good stir, before adding the tinned tomatoes. Add the sweetcorn next.
- Turn the heat down and allow everything to stew gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with green beans or a green salad to add a pop of colour
Great for freezing. Allow to cool before freezing in portions - perfect to have during the week
About this Recipe
This recipe was developed by safefood nutritionists for our weight-mate app.
Click here for more details
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (788g)|
|Fat||2.2g || 17g|
|(of which saturates)||0.7g || 5.3g|
|Carbohydrate||8.9g || 70.5g|
|(of which sugars)||3.7g || 29.5g|
|Protein||3.8g || 29.6g|
|Salt||0.1g || 0.8g|
|Fibre||2g || 16g|