A bright and tasty dish!
This delicious risotto is perfect for dinner on a summery evening. Make this dish vegetarian-friendly by swapping the Parmesan for a similar alternative that's free from rennet.
Ingredients - Serves 2 Adults
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 700ml / 24 fl oz. of water
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons of frozen peas
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 140g / 5oz. of risotto rice
- 6 tablespoons of white wine
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- Simmer the stock for 5 minutes in a large saucepan, adding the asparagus and peas for the last 3 minutes.
- Strain the stock into a jug and set the vegetables aside.
- While the stock is simmering, heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and gently fry for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the rice and continue to stir for 2 minutes until the grains become see-through at the edges.
- Add the wine and 100ml / 4 fl oz. of the stock and allow to simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Pour in another 100ml / 4 fl oz. of the stock and stir.
- Continue adding the stock and stirring. After about 7 minutes when half of the stock has been added, add the peas and asparagus.
- Continue adding the stock slowly until all the liquid has been absorbed. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan or rennet-free alternative.
- Season with black pepper and serve sprinkled with the parsley.
Serve with a vibrant, tossed salad
Cut down on fat by swapping the Parmesan cheese with low-fat cream cheese and mixing through
About this Recipe
This recipe was developed by safefood nutritionists for our weight-mate app.
Click here for more details
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (752g)|
|Fat||1.5g || 11.1g|
|(of which saturates)||0.3g || 2.4g|
|Carbohydrate||9.5g || 71.1g|
|(of which sugars)||1.2g || 8.7g|
|Protein||2.4g || 17.8g|
|Salt||0.2g || 1.4g|
|Fibre||1.4g || 10.4g|