A delicious and comforting dinner
This one-pot dinner is so simple and easily made with just a few items from your cupboard. Cool before refrigerating and this dish is perfect to have for lunch the next day.
Ingredients - Serves 2 Adults
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 small red peppers, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 medium chicken fillets (260g / 9 oz.), diced
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 150g / 5 oz. brown basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
- 5 tablespoons of toasted flaked almonds
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the onions with the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, and gently cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Prepare the stock as per packet instructions.
- When the onions are softened, add the red pepper, turmeric, chicken and curry powder. Stir well and heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Next add the rice, pour over the stock and stir.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the coriander and serve with the almonds scattered on top.
Serve with a colourful, tossed salad to increase your vegetable intake.
If there are any leftovers, have for lunch the next day!
About this Recipe
This recipe was developed by safefood nutritionists for our weight-mate app.
Click here for more details
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (493g)|
|Fat||3.4g || 16.9g|
|(of which saturates)||0.3g || 1.6g|
|Carbohydrate||12.7g || 62.7g|
|(of which sugars)||1.6g || 7.8g|
|Protein||9g || 44.5g|
|Salt||0.3g || 1.7g|
|Fibre||1.8g || 8.9g|