Great for freezing
A warming dinner that's ideal for colder evenings. The red meat and green beans are great sources of iron so this meal is the perfect homemade meal for everyone to enjoy, especially a physically-active teenager!
Ingredients - Serves 2 Adults
- 140g / 5oz. of basmati rice (or wholegrain if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- Pinch of dried mixed herbs or thyme
- 16 button mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- Black pepper, to taste
- 150g / 5oz. of lean beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of low-fat crème fraiche
- 6 tablespoons of green beans (180g / 6oz.)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions, leaving out any salt.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onions and dried herbs for 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and black pepper and fry gently for a further 3 to 4 minutes before removing from the pan and setting aside.
- Add the beef and paprika to the pan and fry until the beef is browned.
- Turn the heat down to low, return the vegetables to the pan and gently stir in the crème fraiche. Cook gently for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- As your stroganoff cooks, boil or microwave the green beans. Boiling will take 6 to 8 minutes, microwaving will take 2 to 3 minutes depending on the power of your microwave.
- When the rice is cooked, drain and serve with the creamy Stroganoff and beans.
Serve with wholegrain rice to increase your fibre intake
Red meat is a great source of iron. Add a few handfuls of spinach, 5 minutes before serving, for an extra boost of iron
About this Recipe
This recipe was developed by safefood nutritionists for our weight-mate app.
Click here for more details
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (515g)|
|Fat||2.9g || 15.1g|
|(of which saturates)||1.3g || 6.7g|
|Carbohydrate||12.2g || 62.8g|
|(of which sugars)||1.2g || 6.4g|
|Protein||5.4g || 28g|
|Salt||0g || 0.1g|
|Fibre||1.1g || 5.6g|